Skip to main content

Perfect

 We live in a society that is focused on perfection - either a person is a perfectionist or they shun perfectionism. Our definition of perfection is toxic and painful and harmful.

In Hebrew, where we read that Abraham was commanded to be perfect, or that Noah was a “perfect man in his generation” the word “perfect” means something different than our modern definition of that word. When reading in Hebrew, you have to take each word one letter at a time because each letter is so full of meaning.

After studying that word for a very long time, I began to see it form into something different than I expected. I had often heard people refer to the number “7” in Hebrew as the definition of perfect - meaning whole and complete. But even this misses the mark. It is only a portion of the definition and it gives the wrong impression of the word.

The word “perfect” is hard to articulate, because I don’t know if you understand each word I use in the way I use it or if you are defining it differently than I am. So bear with me in my tedium for a moment as I give you the definitions of my words.

Parts - a myriad of pieces. For instance, you have many parts to your eyeball. There are nerves, blood vessels, several different kinds of tissue, gels and liquids, and other things. All of these are parts of what we call the eyeball. 

Awareness - conscious and purposeful with intent. One is aware when one knows the motives behind their words, actions, thoughts, etc. An aware state is one in which we do nothing as a reaction but all things are done with intent and on purpose. Awareness enables choice; enables me to be an agent who acts rather than an object which is acted upon.

Make up - the way in which “parts” (as defined above) come together to create a thing. The make up of the eyeball would be a blueprint on all the parts of the eyeball, how they function and how they are held together.

Whole - all-encompassing, leaving not a single “part” behind or unnoticed.

So then, with those definitions, I have learned to define perfection as “An awareness of all of the parts that make up the whole.”

Someone who is perfect is aware and is intentional. They see all of themselves - what another person looking at them might define as good or bad or ugly or pretty. The perfect person is as familiar with their darkness as they are with their light. They do not hide from it nor try to hide it.

Nowhere in the word do I find evidence that all of those parts must be functioning properly. Only that there is awareness of them. So perfection is to see clearly. To see your heart, your motives, your definitions, your own blinders and baggage. To see that they are there and to not be reactionary in any thing, but to choose. And you are able to choose because you are aware that there is a choice because you see all of you, honestly and openly. You are aware when your baggage is being triggered and it helps you to see more clearly and to move outside of your baggage into a more healthy state.

So “be ye perfect, even as your Father who is in Heaven is perfect” can take on a whole new meaning as you ponder on this definition. It teaches us more about the nature of God and His desires for His children.

See yourself. Without shame. Without blame. Without hiding. Without judgment. Just observe yourself. Observe your desires to react. And then choose.

This is a life-long process of learning to be aware. Learning to “awake and arise” our faculties to be able to live life on purpose rather than as a reaction to each moment. Choose your life. Choose by becoming aware, without shame or blame or judgment or guilt or any other ungodly thing. Just see yourself. Just see others. 

Practice this, day in and day out, as often as you can for as long as you can. And perhaps we will be able to say one day that we have obtained perfection...which is to see ourselves clearly - without judgment or blame or excuse or hiding or shame - and then to choose our lives consciously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

Masculine and Feminine

Having experienced much of what could be termed abuse in my life, I have sought deeply to understand the truth of man and woman that I might heal and have whole relationships.  There are some truths which are hard to hear and some truths which cause rejoicing when heard.  The particular truths I desire to share here, if a person is not ready to hear them, will sound very wrong and hard to hear.  So before you read further, I ask that you pause and consider whether or not you are willing and ready to read my words as I intend them, giving them my meaning and not adding your own on top of them.  If you are not in a healthy space with masculine and feminine truths, if there is bitterness or anger in you, please pause and consider coming back to this post another time.  Otherwise, this post may incite you and cause anger to rise in your heart because you won't be ready to understand the true meaning of these words. That very long disclaimer said, if you choose to continue to read, I