Skip to main content

Why “Daily” Repentance?

For many years there has been lurking within me a discontentment with the idea that we have to repent to make us worthy. I mean, I understand that is true using certain definitions. But it has had a feeling with it that smacked of untruth for me. The undertone, based on my definitions, when people said those words was something along the lines of us being barred from God until we become “worthy” through our repentance. It felt like God’s motive in commanding us to repent was so that we could come up a little closer to Him. It felt like a separation between me and God, a wall, and I didn’t like it. It smacked of God saying I was not worthy to touch the hem of His garment and had to grovel a bit before He would deign to hear me. Maybe I’m the only one who caught those undertones when people spoke of repentance. But they always seemed to be there and I’ve always felt a great discontent with the distance it puts between our Heavenly Parents and their beloved children.

This last week I’ve had a lot of things on my mind surrounding repentance. I’ve been thinking about this quote from Elder McConkie:

“It is his will that we gain testimonies, that we seek revelation, that we covet to prophesy, that we desire spiritual gifts, and that we seek the face of the Lord.

“The Lord wants all his children to gain light and truth and knowledge from on high. It is his will that we pierce the veil and rend the heavens and see the visions of eternity.

“By his own mouth he has given us this promise: “It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am” (D&C 93:1).

“Such is his promise to us here and now while we yet dwell as mortals in a world of sorrow and sin. It is our privilege even now—the privilege of all who hold the holy priesthood—if we will strip ourselves from jealousies and fears and humble ourselves before him, as he has said, to have the veil rent and see him and know that he is. (See D&C 67:10.)”

This quote is powerful to me and fills me with faith as I go throughout my day. It is so powerful to me and full of so much doctrine that it currently is taped up on my bathroom wall. The thing that has been drawing the most of my focus right now is “…if we will strip ourselves from jealousies and fears and humble ourselves before him…” To me this sounds like repentance. And my mind has been circling these words knowing there was more that I should understand but not sure what it was.

Yesterday in Stake Conference a speaker shared the story found in Luke 7, the story of the woman who washes the Lord’s feet with her tears. The Lord gives to Simon a parable about forgiveness. The experience is related as follows: 

“There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.”

As I heard those words read by the speaker, the discontentment within me finally was assuaged and I was able to see God’s motives for this command through the eyes of the Savior. And then understanding filled my heart.

We are told that without charity we are nothing. We are told to pray for charity, to pray to be filled with charity. But how can we be filled with charity if we are not able to receive the gift? And we are not able to receive the gift if our hearts are hardened.

Who loves more? The one who had more forgiven. Daily repentance is not about climbing and scratching our way out of the hole we find ourselves in each day. It is about being filled with love for the one who is so merciful to us. It is about gaining confidence that He is there and He will forgive and He will lift us out of that hole. Because as I believe and act on daily repentance, surely my heart is filled with love for Him who so freely and frankly forgives me all. As my heart is filled with love for Him, I also begin to believe in and trust His love for me. His forgiveness is the key which unlocks my ability to receive charity for all men. And unless I love Him, I will not receive His love for me. Because I don’t feel worthy of it. I don’t feel like I deserve it. His forgiveness is the key and He is anxious to give it - but it remains conditional on my asking for it. (see Bible Dictionary under Prayer)

My willingness to receive His love is directly related to the love I feel for Him. The more I love Him, the more I believe and can receive and feel His love for me. The more I feel His love for me, the more I can be filled with that love for others.

And thus we see. Daily repentance is a daily opportunity for Jesus to wrap His arms around me and fill me with His love for me. And it is an opportunity for me to love Him more deeply because I see of just how much He forgives me every. single. day. Daily repentance becomes a daily expression of love from Him to me and from me to Him. 

We are commanded to repent daily so He can daily share His love for us.





Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing!

    I usually cringe when daily repentance is taught, because of this quote from Joseph Smith:
    "Repentance is a thing that cannot be trifled with every day. Daily transgression and daily repentance is not that which is pleasing in the sight of God." TPJS p.148

    I've had a hard time reconciling the above quote with modern teachings calling for daily repentance, but I love your take on what it means for you: a daily expression of love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

The Doctrine of Christ - part 3

The last verse of 1 Nephi 1 and the first two verses of 1 Nephi 2 read: "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender  c mercies  of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of  d deliverance . "For behold, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto my father, yea, even in a dream, and said unto him: Blessed art thou Lehi, because of the things which thou hast done; and because thou hast been faithful and declared unto this people the things which I commanded thee, behold, they seek to  a take away  thy  b life . "And it came to pass that the Lord  a commanded  my father, even in a  b dream , that he should  c take  his family and depart into the wilderness." We again see that God often communicates in dreams. This is a very normal way for us to begin to see and understand the revelations God has for us. Most nights I find myself praying to have revelation as I rest, that the answers t