Skip to main content

Let’s Start at the Very Beginning

 Over the years, as I’ve talked with people about the Book of Mormon and especially about Nephi, I always hear the same things. It goes something along the lines of, “The stories are good, but those Isaiah chapter…” And that seems to be what people get from 1 and 2 Nephi. 

At one point I thought to write a book about how I see and understand those pages of scripture. But let’s face it, I’m me. Writing a book takes organization and that is something I really do not do well. So instead I’m going to try to pull things together here. 

To me, the first 117 pages of the Book of Mormon are the manual for how to enter into the presence of Christ, not when I die, but here in this mortal world in this mortal body. But to convince you of this, I need to first explain what I feel it means to follow Jesus Christ.

For as long as I can remember I was told to follow Jesus, to do as He did. As a little girl I wondered how in the world I was going to be able to walk on water, or cause the blind to see and the deaf to hear and the lame to walk. As I got older there was more clarification - be kind, be loving, be honest…this is what is meant by following Jesus.

But that didn’t seem right to me for so many reasons. It was missing the piece of perfection (the word “perfect” as defined in this post); the awareness of motives and making choices was missing. As I began to look over the scriptures and glean out moments where Jesus told us His motive, I started to see a different pattern come to shape in how to follow Christ.

In Doctrine and Covenants 93:13-14, speaking of Jesus we read:

“And he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fullness; And thus he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first.”

I want to focus in on the word “grace” for a moment. In Hebrew, the word is חנן. The basic definition of this word is favor or gifts depending on context. But as you dig deeper into the meaning of each letter, there is much more involved in this word. This word speaks to the dichotomy of life and death. It gives reference to the Messiah as the key between the two opposites. It speaks of the difference between “essential life” and “life to enliven”. There is information regarding the role of the Messiah and how we are brought to know and understand and choose “life eternal” through the great Mediator of all men. It also shows that there are two different definitions of this word depending on whether it is grace being given to Jesus or grace being given to us through Jesus the Christ. 

So when we read that Jesus continued from grace to grace, what does that really mean? The way I understand the word in Hebrew I am led to believe that, in this context, the word grace implies gifts unto life…or that the purpose of the gift is life. This speaks to the tree of life and so many other things. But that is a digression.

So the purpose of the gift is to bring or increase life.

What gifts do that? In my mind, the answer can only be one thing; gifts of the Spirit.

Taking this view, the verse in Doctrine and Covenants 93 then tells us that Jesus grew and increased in the gifts of the Spirit.

Okay. So what. What does this have to do with following Jesus?

Well. In my opinion, the way we follow Jesus Christ is to do as He did. And what did He do? He learned His spiritual gifts. He worked to refine them and grow in understanding of them. He learned what His purpose on this earth was. He went to His Father and asked for instruction on how to use His gifts to fulfill His mission. 

So for me to follow Jesus I must learn what my gifts are. I must refine them. I must learn what my mission on this earth is. Then I must gain instruction on how to use my gifts to fulfill the purpose for which I was created. This is what it means to follow Jesus and to do as He did, in my opinion.

So now, with this understanding of what that means and how important it makes learning the gifts of the Spirit, let’s look at Nephi.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

Masculine and Feminine

Having experienced much of what could be termed abuse in my life, I have sought deeply to understand the truth of man and woman that I might heal and have whole relationships.  There are some truths which are hard to hear and some truths which cause rejoicing when heard.  The particular truths I desire to share here, if a person is not ready to hear them, will sound very wrong and hard to hear.  So before you read further, I ask that you pause and consider whether or not you are willing and ready to read my words as I intend them, giving them my meaning and not adding your own on top of them.  If you are not in a healthy space with masculine and feminine truths, if there is bitterness or anger in you, please pause and consider coming back to this post another time.  Otherwise, this post may incite you and cause anger to rise in your heart because you won't be ready to understand the true meaning of these words. That very long disclaimer said, if you choose to continue to read, I