Skip to main content

Martha's Part

My entire life I remember hearing the story of Mary and Martha.  All growing up we were taught about Mary choosing "the better part" and somehow that was translated into the work of upkeeping a home is not important - or is at least lessor work.  Somehow, someone somewhere said that Martha's work of making food or cleaning or whatever she was actually doing in that moment was far less important than Mary, sitting at the Savior's feet and learning.

Martha became defined as a woman who lacked faith while Mary was a woman of great faith.  Chores became defined as menial tasks which are done by those who are of lessor faith than those who seek out the Lord.

Today, I'd like to explain the way I see what the Lord was saying to Mary and Martha that day when Martha complained that Mary was not helping with the work.

First, the Lord did not say Mary had chosen the better task.  He said she had chosen the "good part."

Let's review the actual words.

"But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.  And Jesus answered and said, Martha, Martha, thou are careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

Certainly this rebuke from the Lord is true and real, but so often we do not understand it completely.  The next time we hear of Martha is after the death of her brother.  It is Martha who declares that she knows Jesus to be the Christ.  That is a strong testament of her faith - one which few of the disciples had at that moment of the Savior's mortal ministry.

What happened in between the rebuke and Martha's declaration that Jesus is indeed the Christ?  What was different?

Let's remember what we know about the Lord.  All through scripture, again and again, the Lord tells us that man looks on the outward appearance but that He looks on the heart.

So what is the "good part"?  What is the one thing that is needful?

I submit to you that the Lord was speaking about the state of their hearts, not about what they were physically doing.  If their outward roles had been reversed, Mary would have been happily serving, rejoicing in her ability to do the background work which is a thankless job but which allows everyone else to enjoy their time so thoroughly.  While Martha, if her heart were still in the same place, would have asked the Lord to chide Mary for being so busy when she ought to be sitting and listening.

It is the state of the heart which the Lord was trying to correct, not the outward doings.  A person can draw as near to Lord while doing household chores as they can while sitting and pondering the scriptures.  It is not about what is happening on the outside, but what is happening on the inside.

It is also very clear that Martha took this correction to heart.  The next time she is mentioned in the account with Lazarus, we also hear about Martha serving.  But there is no chastisement for not choosing the "good part."  She has learned.  Her heart has corrected itself.  It is good to be careful and aware that the physical needs must be met - that is a noble and lovely task.  It is only the state of the heart as that task is being accomplished which makes it the good part or something lessor.

Martha changed her heart from one of helping others to one of serving others.  There is a distinct difference between these two directions of thought.  When I am helping others I seek for them to change.  I see myself as greater or better somehow.  The word help implies that I am on higher ground and you are on lower ground and I am lifting you in some way.

Service is something entirely different.  Serving comes from a place of abundance and gratitude.  True service exists in a heart that is filled with love and has plenty to share.  It is not pride or ego based.  It does not set one above or below another.  Service is a gift of self to others, without expectation of return or even recognition of the gift which has been given.  The gift is given even if the receiver does not acknowledge receipt of the gift.  Because it was given in love and with pure intent.

Martha's heart changed.  She was no longer helping.  She was serving.  And through understanding that doctrine, she is a woman of great faith and great testimony.  She understands the Savior acting as servant to all in a way that those who stay in the "helping" mentality can never come to know.

I admire Martha.  I admire that she took correction with love and let her heart change and heal through true doctrines and principles.  If I might slightly paraphrase the Savior's words, "...Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: but one thing is needful...[choosing] that good part which shall not be taken away from [you]."

Let this gentle and loving correction be taken into each of our hearts.  Let's choose the good part, which cannot be taken from us.  The good part goes back to the post I wrote a while ago about taking upon us the yoke of Christ and carrying His burden.  The good part can be chosen when we look upward to Christ and let Him be in each moment with us - no matter how it looks on the outside.

In the next post, we are going to talk about Mosiah 4 and praying to receive forgiveness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

Masculine and Feminine

Having experienced much of what could be termed abuse in my life, I have sought deeply to understand the truth of man and woman that I might heal and have whole relationships.  There are some truths which are hard to hear and some truths which cause rejoicing when heard.  The particular truths I desire to share here, if a person is not ready to hear them, will sound very wrong and hard to hear.  So before you read further, I ask that you pause and consider whether or not you are willing and ready to read my words as I intend them, giving them my meaning and not adding your own on top of them.  If you are not in a healthy space with masculine and feminine truths, if there is bitterness or anger in you, please pause and consider coming back to this post another time.  Otherwise, this post may incite you and cause anger to rise in your heart because you won't be ready to understand the true meaning of these words. That very long disclaimer said, if you choose to continue to read, I