Skip to main content

1 Nephi 22:16-20

"For the time soon cometh that the fulness of the wrath of God shall be poured out upon all the children of men; for he will not suffer that the wicked shall destroy the righteous.  Wherefore, he will preserve the righteous by his power, even if it so be that the fulness of his wrath must come, and the righteous be preserved, even unto the destruction of their enemies by fire.  wherefore, the righteous need not fear; for thus saith the prophet, they shall be saved, even if it so be as by fire.  Behold, my brethren, I say unto you, that these things must shorty come; yea, even blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke must come; and it must needs be upon the face of this earth; and it cometh unto men according to the flesh if it so be that they will harden their hearts against the Holy One of Israel.  For behold, the righteous shall not perish; for the time surely must come that all they who fight against Zion shall be cut off"

There are so many truths in here.  Also, I've been thinking more about what I read yesterday in verse 15.  When it is taken in context with 16-19, there is more clarity given about the eternal plan that is being played out both in the literal, physical world around us, and in the internal, spiritual world within.

This all feels so similar to the message of Isaiah 29 to me.  The symbolism of creation and how it relates to my inner world is definitely part of this.  When the Lord is speaking of the wicked and the righteous - I see the natural man and the eternal spirit, respectively.  I see that which leads to turning my back to God and fighting against Him vs. that which invites and persuades to come unto Christ and be perfected in Him.

When I consider the phrase "...all they who fight against Zion shall be cut off" I am again led to Isaiah 29:8 where Isaiah describes to us the symptoms of those who fight against Zion.  And at the core (according to Isaiah 29), the way we fight against Zion is by closing our hearts.  It's not about what I do or don't do on the outside.  It's about whether or not my heart is open and I am willing to give to the Lord all that I am - my "strangers" and my "terrible ones" and not just my good and godly and noble.

I fight against Zion as long as I try to hide or deny what I hold within my heart - in every part of it.  When I am willing to do as Isaiah suggests and draw near to the Lord with my whole heart - everything I have in it - then I am allowing Him to have access to all of me...that is when I stop giving Him honor with my mouth and drawing near to Him with my lips but removing my heart far from Him.  

"And the Lord will surely prepare a way for his people, unto the fulfilling of the words of Moses, which he spake, saying: A prophet shall the Lord your god raise up unto you, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever  he shall say unto you.  And it shall come to pass that all those who will not hear that prophet shall be cut off from among the people."

The Lord had prepared a way through the Savior and His loving, eternal, infinite Atonement.  We have but to humble ourselves and let that which is being held within our hearts be given to Him.  We have but to learn to honestly see ourselves and give to Him all that we are - ALL.  This includes the parts we may see as broken or less worthy or as shameful.  It includes our strengths and our terrible ones.  It includes all.  This is the sacred and acceptable offering - an offering of all that we are - not just the good that we are.

This idea of giving all is what it looks like to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  Being in this state allows us to be honest with ourselves about anything we have done or not done, our motives, our true heart's desires.  It allows us to see ourselves without excuse and to stand, as it were, naked before our Father knowing that He already sees everything we were trying so hard to hide in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

Masculine and Feminine

Having experienced much of what could be termed abuse in my life, I have sought deeply to understand the truth of man and woman that I might heal and have whole relationships.  There are some truths which are hard to hear and some truths which cause rejoicing when heard.  The particular truths I desire to share here, if a person is not ready to hear them, will sound very wrong and hard to hear.  So before you read further, I ask that you pause and consider whether or not you are willing and ready to read my words as I intend them, giving them my meaning and not adding your own on top of them.  If you are not in a healthy space with masculine and feminine truths, if there is bitterness or anger in you, please pause and consider coming back to this post another time.  Otherwise, this post may incite you and cause anger to rise in your heart because you won't be ready to understand the true meaning of these words. That very long disclaimer said, if you choose to continue to read, I