Skip to main content

2 Nephi 1:1-3

"And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of teaching my brethren our father, Lehi, also spake many things unto them, and rehearsed unto them, how great things the lord had done for them in bringing them out of the land of Jerusalem.  And he spake unto them concerning their rebellions upon the waters, and the mercies of God in sparing their lives, that they were not swallowed up in the sea.  And he also spake unto them concerning the land of promise, which they had obtained - how merciful the Lord had been in warning us that we should flee out of the land of Jerusalem."

Lehi is speaking to Laman and Lemuel and reminding them of the rebellions they have had all along this many-year journey from Jerusalem to this point where they had reached the promised land.  It seems he is reminding them just how merciful the Lord can be and all the Lord has done for them, despite their rebellions and sins.  The symbolism of their experience is a direct parallel to...yup, the distressing of Ariel. 

Why am I not surprised that this is such a prevalent theme throughout 1 and 2 Nephi?  It would make sense because Nephi delighted so in the words of Isaiah and the main, center point of Isaiah is the distressing of Ariel and her return, glorified.  The very history and future prophecies of Jerusalem itself is symbolic of each one of us on our individual journey.  They may all look different on the outside, but the moving doctrine and principles, the spirit/heart-journey are the same. 

Jeruslem was built up.  In the height of her glory and splendor, when she was the crown of the middle-eastern area, she was thrown down.  Her pride was taken from her.  Her splendor and her glory were gone.  She was left in ruin and rubble.  But because of this, her ancient buildings and walls were discovered.  Her true structure that was originally designed by inspiration from God through prophets was found underneath all the layers that man had added to her. 

Then, when that original structure was discovered and she had been sufficiently humbled so as not to try to build her own way again, she began to be rebuilt.  Slowly this time.  Carefully.  And at some future day we will see Jerusalem in all her splendor and glory, as she was divinely appointed to be. 

So it is with us.  The distressing of Ariel, the laying seige, the building of forts against us (Isaiah 29) is all about bringing us back to that original voice, that Eternal Being that each of us are, the one within me who knows just what my original blueprint is.  Then I carefully, slowly, build according to that eternal voice that I have within my heart, my knowing.  I build and I work and day by day my inner world becomes that which it was meant to be from the beginning.  My spirit becomes the wise steward of my body rather than a servant to my body.  After that happens, all things are augmented and growth is accelerated.

So.  Why is Lehi hoping that reminding his sons of the blessings, regardless of their rebellion will soften their hearts?  I mean, the rebellion on the boat, the subsequent storms, the repentance - it is all as though Laman and Lemuel were representing the natural man within each of us.  They try to bind the spirit (represented by Nephi).  But the storms distress until the natural man discovers who it is that truly has the power to overcome those storms.  In self-preservation, the natural man releases the spirit - the prey of the terrible ones and the strangers (Isaiah 29) are set free.  Sometimes, after being in captivity for so long, we forget how to use our freedom properly.  But the Lord is merciful and gives each of us that internal compass to help us chart a true course back to Him.  We are guided in a straight course, depending upon the attention we give to that compass and if we heed it or choose differently.

That knowing we have within us, when we listen to that it is like reading our own personal Liahona and we know the path we are to be on. 

How do we learn to hear that voice within each of us?  One guess....Yup.  Distressing of Ariel.  Trials show us what is really important.  The noise of this world is muted - because we realize is just doesn't matter.  Really and truly.  Then we are able to focus on what does matter.  We are able to hear that voice that is buried underneath all the layers and noise of this life and find that we have a knowing within us that can guide us perfectly in what it is we should do. 

That "familiar spirit" which speaks to us "out of the dust" is our knowing.  It is our straight and narrow path.  Listening to and heeding that voice keeps us on our straight and narrow.  Any other thing is off my personal path.  That is why the scriptures tell us that straight is the gate, and narrow is the way that leads to eternal life, and few there be that find it. 

Anything.  Anything at all that is not within that knowing is off my path.  If I can listen to that knowing and learn to do so more each day, then I will be on my path and it will lead to eternal life - no matter what it looks on the outside to everyone else. 

This is why the process Isaiah gives to us is so essential.  Without it, we will stay on autopilot.  We will stay focused on the things which we know from our five sense and we will never find that knowing or listen to that eternal voice within each of us. 

I think I'm beginning to understand what Elder McConkie meant when he said:

"It just may be that my salvation (and yours also!) does in fact depend upon our ability to understand the writings of Isaiah as fully and truly as Nephi understood them.  For that matter, why should either Nephi or Isaiah know anything that is withheld from us? Does not that God who is no respecter of persons treat all his children alike? Has he not given us his promise and recited to us the terms and conditions of his law pursuant to which he will reveal to us what he has revealed to them?"

I love this thought and this beautiful expression that if we follow the pattern outlined, we can boldly expect that God will reveal all things to us, just as He has to those who have followed the pattern since the beginning of time.  It is even as Moses expressed when Joshua and another man came to him and said that Eldad and Medad were prophesying in the camp.  Joshua said to Moses, "My lord, Moses, forbid them."  And what was his reply?  "And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" (Numbers 11:24-30)

That.  That right there is why the Lord distresses Ariel.  Because He has things far greater in store for us than anything that could please the five senses or offer false hope or false security or a false sense of control.  He has mighty, glorious, profound, eternal, brilliant things to reveal to us...as soon as we are willing to receive them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

The Doctrine of Christ - part 3

The last verse of 1 Nephi 1 and the first two verses of 1 Nephi 2 read: "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender  c mercies  of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of  d deliverance . "For behold, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto my father, yea, even in a dream, and said unto him: Blessed art thou Lehi, because of the things which thou hast done; and because thou hast been faithful and declared unto this people the things which I commanded thee, behold, they seek to  a take away  thy  b life . "And it came to pass that the Lord  a commanded  my father, even in a  b dream , that he should  c take  his family and depart into the wilderness." We again see that God often communicates in dreams. This is a very normal way for us to begin to see and understand the revelations God has for us. Most nights I find myself praying to have revelation as I rest, that the answers t