Skip to main content

Olive Tree - Part 1

The allegory of the Olive Tree is one of my favorite things in all the world.  Jacob, along with the book of James (who is the mortal brother of the Savior), ties for second place in my scripture hierarchy.  As we go through this allegory (which will be broken down into many parts), I hope to adequately represent why Jacob is one of my favorite prophets.

I'm going to just share what I wrote a couple of years ago in my scriptures about these verses as I was studying them.  

In order to give the full understanding of the verses in chapter 5, we have to go to chapter 4 and gain perspective a bit.  So follow along, if you wish, as we walk the paths of Jacob's heart.

The first few verses of chapter 4 tell us why they have written on these plates and that they rejoice in the very laborious process which is part of this gift they have preserved for us.

Then we get into verses 4 and 5.

"For, for this intent have we written these things, that they may know that we knew of Christ, and we had a hope of his glory many hundred years before his coming; and not only we ourselves had a hope of his glory, but also all the holy prophets which were before us.  Behold, they believed in Christ and worshipped the Father in his name, and also we worship the Father in his name. And for this intent we keep the law of Moses, it pointing our souls to him; and for this cause it is sanctified unto us for righteousness..."

They lived about 500 years before the coming of Christ...that is like going from the time of Columbus sailed to the Americas until now!  How long that time seems.  To teach people to have faith in and to stay steadfast to the words of a parent without seeking personal revelation - it's no wonder Laman and Lemuel and their descendants struggled.  They didn't understand Isaiah.  They didn't believe their father's dreams and visions.  They didn't see what was in front of them as a miracle, but as luck.  Whereas Nephi and Jacob sought the same truths which were given to their father.  And their diligent seeking was rewarded not only with the same truths but with truths which were greater still than anything their father had learned - at least according to our current records (I may desire to erase these words when we finally get the portion of the Book of Mormon that was contained in the lost manuscript).  For Nephi did expound that which his father had seen and heard with greater insight and understanding than he reports his father having given to them.

Verse 6:
"Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea."

Neither Nephi nor Jacob write anything (that we currently have) pertaining to this.  They tell us nothing about having these gifts so much so that their faith is unshaken and they command the very trees, which obey them.  This leads me to the fears some have of the last days and the physical struggles which will come.  If there were sufficient faith, we would not be in the midst of all the pain and struggles.  Sufficient faith can tell a tree to grow and produce fruit and then that tree would literally grow before your eyes, blossom, and produce fruit for any in need - for the very trees obey them.  To be so completely unshaken in my faith as to cause things to happen which seem impossible, to have this kind of unshaken faith is my goal.  I want to believe with all of my being, and doubt nothing.  The day will come when that kind of faith will be essential to all of us as we are int he trials and tribulations of the last days: no matter drought nor storm nor pestilence...to know a tree in the desert can bloom and bring forth juicy fruit, that kind of faith.

Verse 7:
"Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things."

They literally have watched miracles - not just in hearts, but before their very eyes - miracles which they themselves have spoken into existence by the power of God.  They have done this work and in the next sentence we learn that perfection is not a requirement for this kind of faith and these kinds of miracles.  They see their weakness that it may lead them to glory in the Lord - in His goodness and care for them.  He loves broken things.  He makes miracles for the flawed and imperfect who believe that honest effort is sufficient and they truly understand their worth to Him.  In our day, knowing one's worth seems to be the biggest lie which keeps us from realizing our fullest potential.

The faith that it can happen exists.  But the faith that the Lord will do it through me or for me is something else.  We lack the knowledge of our value and worth to Him and instead suppose that only worthiness founded in perfection will allow such miracles into our lives.  Faith is the necessary thing - and humility - which comes from seeing His blessings despite my weakness. 

Then, in verses 8-10 we are learning some powerful things.

"Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord.  How unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways.  And no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren, despise not the revelations of God.  For behold, by the power of his word man came upon the face of the earth, which earth was created by the power of his word.  Wherefore, if God being able to speak and the world was, and to speak and man was created, O then, why not able to command the earth, or the workmanship of his hands upon the face of it, according to his will and pleasure?  Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand.  For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom, and in justice, and in great mercy, over all his works."

Revelation.  Inspiration.  Prophecy.  Miracles.  All of these and more are in these verses.  The thing which stood out to me more than any other thing is in verse 10, "Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand."  

How often have I felt the Spirit telling me something and I've diminished it and said, "If it's the Lord's will"...?  Too often.  If the Spirit inspires it, then it's the Lord's will.  They are one.  Therefore it is.  But instead I seek to counsel the Lord because of my weakness and doubt and disbelief.  As I wrote before, I believe these miracles can happen.  But whether or not the Lord will use me in them is another thing entirely.  Jacob and Nephi testify of the Lord's grace and that it truly is sufficient.  They share their testimonies that, even with weakness, they are able to command and the very trees obey them.  They do not counsel the Lord, but take counsel from Him - either directly or from the Holy Spirit.  Either way, there is much to be learned here about false humility which takes away from my ability to follow that which the Spirit prompts.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My life ended 10 days ago and then it started again.

Cory. The first time I met him and he told me his name, five minutes later I called him "Cody." And that is how we began, with me hurting his feelings because I remembered the wrong name. Twenty years and 3 months and one day after that first meeting, he died. I can hardly believe the life I've lived in those 20 years...it seems we packed an eternity of experiences - both good and awful - into those two decades. We were engaged the day we met. Four months later we were married. Thirteen years later we divorced. Two years after that, we were married again. Four years (plus a little) later, divorced again. Ten months, three weeks, and five days later, he was dead. The first divorce, I didn't know it was mental illness. One moment he was loving and the best man I'd ever known. The next moment he was scary and someone I was afraid to be around. He would apologize and I would believe him when he told me he would not do it again. I would immediately extend trust

Shifting the Blog

Hi friends.  Up to today, the blog has just been writing some of the thoughts I've written in the margins of my scriptures as I studied them.  This morning, however, I am feeling pulled to change this blog in a different direction. All of us have baggage from life.  Maybe we were abused.  Maybe we thought of ourselves  as abused.  Maybe we didn't have the kind of parents our friends had.  Maybe we had the perfect parents and still felt sad.  Maybe we were struggling with fitting in so much that we completely changed who we were and now have no idea how to find ourselves again.  Maybe we were so popular that we felt constant pressure to perform and live up to the expectations of those around us.  Maybe life is lovely and we feel ungrateful because there is this nagging feeling that something is missing - but life is good and all of our needs are met.  Maybe we feel like our best isn't enough no matter what we do.  Maybe we feel lonely.  Maybe we feel neglected.  Maybe we f

The Doctrine of Christ - part 3

The last verse of 1 Nephi 1 and the first two verses of 1 Nephi 2 read: "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender  c mercies  of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of  d deliverance . "For behold, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto my father, yea, even in a dream, and said unto him: Blessed art thou Lehi, because of the things which thou hast done; and because thou hast been faithful and declared unto this people the things which I commanded thee, behold, they seek to  a take away  thy  b life . "And it came to pass that the Lord  a commanded  my father, even in a  b dream , that he should  c take  his family and depart into the wilderness." We again see that God often communicates in dreams. This is a very normal way for us to begin to see and understand the revelations God has for us. Most nights I find myself praying to have revelation as I rest, that the answers t